Snow and Ice Removal
Snow & Ice Removal Program
Snow and ice removal for the Village's streets is a time consuming and dangerous job. The Village of Weston's Public Works Crew is responsible for the snow removal in both the Village and Town of Weston. Combined, the Village and Town of Weston have 292 lane miles of streets under their jurisdictions. For an average snowfall of 2 to 4 inches it takes the Village's crew about 8 hours to plow and apply ice control one time through a route.
To learn more about the Village's Snow Removal Strategy please take a look at the links below.
Mailbox Placement and Replacement Policy
To learn about proper mailbox placement and installation and what the Village's policy is on mailbox replacement please read the Mailbox Policy.
To learn more about ice ruts on Village Streets and what causes them, please view the Ice Ruts in the Village of Weston FAQs.
Snow Plow Routes
The Village of Weston plows the streets in the Village and Town of Weston. Overall there are 6 primary plow routes that account for about 280 lane miles.
Salt and Sand Use
Salt is applied along major routes in the Village as well as at intersections and on hills/curves. In order for salt to work the pavement temperature needs to be at least 20 degrees. As traffic travels over the salt a salt brine is created. The brine lowers the freezing temperature of water which helps melt the snow and ice that has accumulated on the streets.
As temperatures drop below 20 degrees salt is no longer effective without additional chemical help (the Village is currently not setup to apply any additional chemicals such as calcium chloride). Due to this the Village relies on using sand to provide improved vehicle traction on snow and ice covered roads.
Snow and Ice Guidelines for the General Public
In order to do the best job, in the quickest time possible, the Village needs the cooperation and assistance of our citizens. Below is a list of guidelines to follow in order to aid in the Village's snow and ice removal efforts.
- Do not park your vehicle on the street during a snowfall until the street has been plowed curb to curb (shoulder to shoulder) or if there is a snow emergency
- From October 31st to May 1st, alternate side parking is in effect for all streets in the Village of Weston between 4:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. During this time, vehicles shall be parked on the even-numbered side of the street on even-numbered calendar days, and on the odd side of the street on odd-numbered calendar days.
- Do not plow snow from your driveway across or onto the street.
- Sidewalks must be cleared within 48 hours after a snowfall.
- Do not place garbage/recycling containers in the street or boulevard. These containers should be placed in the driveway in-line with the back of the mailbox.
- Mailboxes should be checked for structural strength and correct placement. If the mailbox is damaged due to indirect contact, including the force of snow generated by snow removal, the mailbox owner assumes the responsibility.
- Landscaping and inanimate materials that are installed in the road right-of-way will be the responsibility of the owner and the owner assumes the risk.
- Stay at least 200 feet behind a snowplow and/or salt truck so the driver can see you.
- Never pass a plow truck on the right side while the truck is clearing roads or spreading ice control.