Why should you license your pet?
- If your pet is wearing a license tag and it gets lost or goes missing, licensing increases your chances of finding your dog. Dogs that are licensed will be returned quicker and have a better chance of being returned than those that are unlicensed.
- Licensing helps prevent a rabies outbreak.
- You avoid receiving a fine. (If you own, have custody of or otherwise harbor an unlicensed dog, you may be charged a fine of up to $500).
- License revenues will continue to benefit animal services in our community. The fees collected are also an important funding mechanism for the Marathon County Humane Society operations, including shelter for homeless animals, community education and cruelty and neglect investigation. These revenues will also be used to partner with area communities to create an animal control division which will free officer time for other crime and enforcement related duties.
How do you license your pet?
The Village has partnered with Petdata, Inc. to increase the cost effectiveness of the program. We have provided convenient methods to obtain a license.
- Send the pet application by MAIL – Make sure to include a copy of a current rabies certificate.
- You may license your pet ONLINE – go to www.petdata.com – You must fax, mail, or email a current rabies certificate.
- You may license your pet ONLINE at the Weston Municipal Center using our Kiosk at the front counter. If you need assistance, Village Staff will be available to help.
- All licenses valid through Dec. 31st.
- Unaltered Dog and Cat License - $25
- Unaltered Dog and Cat License w/microchip - $20
- Spayed/Neutered Dog and Cat License - $15
- Spayed/Neutered Dog and Cat License w/microchip - $10
- 3 dogs may be licensed per address, except in Multi-Family Zoning Districts (MH, MF- multiple households that live under the same roof, but in separate units) where only 2 dogs per unit are allowed.
- 4 cats may be licensed per address, except in the MH (Residential Mobile Home Park) where only 2 cats per unit are allowed.